Edge-ground axes in Pleistocene Greater Australia - more evidence from S.E. Cape York Peninsula: a reply to Sutton
The Pleistocene antiquity of edge-ground artefacts in various parts of Northern Australia and New Guinea, including the Kimberley, western Arnhem Land and S.E. Cape York Peninsula, is no longer controversial (e.g. Jones and Johnson 1985; Schrire 1982; Rosenfeld et al. 1981). Even so, Sutton (1990:95 - this volume QAR) had rightly questioned the sufficiency of evidence presented by Morwood and Tresize (1990) in support of a minimum date of 32,000 b.p. for edge-grinding at Sandy Creek 1 in S.E. Cape York Peninsula. I welcome this opportunity to rectify this situation.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors are responsible for ensuring that any material that has influenced the research or writing has been properly cited and credited both in the text and in the list of references. Contributors are responsible for gaining copyright clearance on figures, photographs or lengthy quotes used in their manuscript that have been published elsewhere.
2. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g. post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).
5. An article will not be published until the signed Author Agreement has been completed and returned to the Editors by the contributor.