Some observations on the material culture of Aboriginal fishing in the Moreton Bay area: implications for archaeology
Assessments of suites of material culture items have often been used to characterize various aspects of human behaviour and cultural development. This has particularly been the case with regard to assessments of prehistoric fisheries (e.g. Anell 1955, Reinman 1967, Kirch 1982, Colley 1983:4-7). This paper presents some observations on the material culture of Aboriginal fishing in and around Moreton Bay, southeast Queensland, which derive from written and oral history relating to the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries. They allow implications to be drawn about the way the fishery may have operated in the prehistoric period.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors are responsible for ensuring that any material that has influenced the research or writing has been properly cited and credited both in the text and in the list of references. Contributors are responsible for gaining copyright clearance on figures, photographs or lengthy quotes used in their manuscript that have been published elsewhere.
2. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g. post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
4. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (see The Effect of Open Access).
5. An article will not be published until the signed Author Agreement has been completed and returned to the Editors by the contributor.